strategy

>> Friday, November 06, 2009

In my lectures, sometimes I'd like to insert some values for my students. I'd give them advices about life, sometimes I´d share some of my experiences when I was studying, or maybe just give them words of wisdom. Reason being, I don't want to be just a lecturer who lectures (academically), but also a friend or maybe someone who at least said something that made them to be a better person.

Today in class, I divided them into groups of four. And their task was to calculate and plot deciles, percentiles and quartiles. The trick is, each group has at least one international student. And I made them discuss fully in English (biarpun berterabur) to be fair. It was fun looking at them. hehe.

So while they were doing their work, I told them about strategy.

'Before you start answering, you must have a strategy. So that you will save time answering and your answers are accurate. Do you know what is strategy?'

They kept quiet.

I asked the Nigerian guy, what is strategy in Nigerian language?
He said, 'it's strategy'

ok..

What is strategy in Eritrian language ?
One of the Eritrian guy answered with his hands in the air like he's about to do The Pavoratti. 'it's strategy'

ok..

they already started laughing.
And then I asked the Maldives guy, how about in your country?
'also strategy' with his heads shaking and a bit of hindustani accent..

ok...

Finally I asked the Sudanese guy, 'let me guess, strategy is strategy in Arabic right?'
'No, its strategyiah... '

Everyone laughed..
Aaaa.... okkkkk....

(Perhaps it would've been funnier if you were there...)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP